Responsible gun ownership demands the use of a gun safe to keep you and your family safe. This buyer’s guide will give you a head start on your selection by discussing the top 10 firearm safes to consider.
Things to consider when buying a gun safe
The safe should have a considerable width of steel. Go for a safe with thicker 12-gauge steel. Look at the door’s thickness – it should not go beyond 7- gauge steel. The safe’s body must be properly welded. Make sure the safe has bolt holes correctly positioned for mounting.
Sometimes advertised capacity can be misleading. As manufacturers make safes thicker for safety, they reduce internal space. Read user reviews and product descriptions for a better understanding of a safe’s capacity.
Take an inventory of your guns’ sizes to determine the safe you’ll need. The gun safes market has different safes, including long gun safes, handgun safes, and safes for both. You’ll also find free standing safes, fire resistant safes, quick access safes, and bespoke safes.
Safes have distinct types of locks such as combination locks, biometric locks, and dial locks. Some locks like the biometric locks require batteries to power them. You can easily change the pin in an electronic lock, but you’ll need professional assistance to change the combination lock. If you can’t decide on the best lock, seek advice from security experts.
Fire and Break-In Protection
Check whether any relevant organizations approve a safe as fireproof and burglar proof. Examples of certification bodies include the UL Residential Security Container Rating and the Department of Justice.
Barska Biometric Quick Access Rifle Safe
Barska is one of the safest firearm safes in the market, and the Department of Justice approves its security system. You can bolt this rifle safe on the wall or floor for added security through the pre-drilled holes. The safe also contains a 12 position rifle rack and 3 detachable shelves. The attractive steel handles blend well with the black metal casing, ensuring the safe neatly integrated into contemporary homes.
- Security: Biometric programmable technology supports 120 fingerprints. You can also access the safe by using a keypad.
- Storage Capacity: Stores up to 4 rifles plus ammunition
- Construction: 14-gauge steel casing makes this safe among the most durable
- Mounting: The safe has pre-drilled holes and mounting hardware for easy mounting
- Dimensions: 9.75’ wide, 52.13 tall, 8.63 deep
- Weight: 65 pounds
Sentry Safe QAP1BE
This firearm safe is the perfect bedside safe with a biometric lock that gives you quick access to respond swiftly to an emergency situation. The Department of Justice in California approved the safe for firearm storage and security. The safe has a gas strut feature that allows single-hand access. The safe uses high-quality alkaline AA batteries that last 8 years so you don’t need to worry about constant battery replacements.
- Security: A biometric finger scanner provides convenient access. A backup access method uses a silent digital lock and an override key for more advanced security.
- Storage Capacity: 1 gun
- Construction: Solid 12-gauge steel casing provides durability and reliability
- Mounting: Bolt down hardware prevents intruders from moving the safe
- Dimensions: 12.1’ wide, 3.2’ tall, 9.9’ deep
- Weight: 11.9 pounds
Best for Rifles:
Steelwater Heavy Duty SW592216 Safe
If you are looking for a gun safe with enhanced fireproofing capability, the Steelwater Heavy Duty is a great pick. In case of a fire, the safe contents can stay safe for up to an hour at temperatures up to 1,8750° F. The interior LED automatic lighting allows you to use the safe in darker places. If you purchase directly from SteelWater Gun Safes, you’ll get free shipping and delivery to the curb. They also offer free garage delivery. However, due to the product’s large size, there are some delivery restrictions.
- Security: Featured multiple lock alternatives including a combination lock, key lock in dial, and a digital keypad
- Storage Capacity: Stores up to 16 guns: two gun sections each capable of storing eight guns
- Construction: Built with 12 gauge steel for maximum security and durability
- Mounting: Bottom corners have quarter-inch steel plates and pre-drilled anchor holes for proper bolting to the ground
- Dimensions: 22’ wide, 59’ tall, 16’ deep
- Weight: 380 pounds
Liberty FatBoy 64 Gun Safe
The Liberty FatBoy 64 Gun Safe offers massive storage space that can hold up to 64 guns or 48 rifles. You can extend the storage capacity using the 6-in-1 Flex interior layouts, ammunition canisters, or other accessories. The safe guarantees you 75 minutes of fire protection. The stylish look allows it to fit anywhere in your home or business.
- Security: Choose between UL listed Group II Combination Dial Lock or SecuRam ProLogic. The safe also comes with a L01 Electronic Lock and 14 solid steel locking bolts.
- Storage capacity: Stores up to 64 long guns
- Construction: Built with 11-gauge steel
- Mounting: Bolted on the floor
- Dimensions: 42’ wide, 60.5’ tall, 32’ deep
- Weight: 995 pounds
AMSEC BF7240 Gun Safe
If you are looking for a unique safe with exceptional security features, the AMSEC BF7240 is your ideal safe. The safe comes with a half-inch steel plate door embedded with a 1” DryLight insulation. Its 2” side walls made of two steel layers and DryLight insulation gives it exceptional protection from fire and burglars. It has a beautiful design with a 5-spoke handle and a mirrored back wall. You’ll love the door organizer, which maximizes storage for your frequently used items.
- Security: Comes with a UL certified Mechanical Dial Lock. Additional options include- Key locking dial, ESL 10XL, and 20XL Electronic Lock, NL Doomsday Redundant Lock, all approved by UL.
- Storage Capacity: Stores up to 38 guns
- Construction: Built with a 12-gauge inner steel liner
- Mounting: Bolted on the floor using the 12-bolt detent system
- Dimensions: 40’ wide, 71.25 tall, 26’ deep
- Weight: weighs 1,585 pounds
Fort Knox FTK-PB
The Fort Knox FTK-PB is a top-rated heavy-duty pistol and handgun safe with quick access. Fort Knox is a renowned manufacturer. Their hinge design is burglar proof as it is placed under the door. You can operate their user-friendly mechanical lock with a push-button. The safe exceeds the California Department of Justice certification requirements.
- Security: Uses a Simplex mechanical locking system
- Storage Capacity: Can hold up to 2 pistols
- Construction: Body is built of 10-gauge steel with a welded and concealed hinge
- Mounting: Pre-drilled holes on the bottom allow you to easily bold the safe to any flat surface
- Dimensions: 12.50 wide, 4.25’ tall, 10.38’ deep
- Weight: 22 pounds
SecureIt Agile UltraLight Model 52 Pro
If you are not a fan of the old-school heavy gun safes, then the SecureIt Agile 52 Pro is an excellent option. The safe perfectly combines beauty and functionality. The safe also comes with accessories that help organize the inside for maximum utilization of space. You’ll also love the fact that it is reasonably priced and easy to ship since it comes in separate pieces that are assembled onsite.
- Security: Uses a strong electronic locking system with 2 backup keys. You can program the system to use your preferred combination codes.
- Storage Capacity: Can store up to 6 rifles or 24 handguns. Uses SecureIt’s CradleGrid system for better organization and storage
- Construction: Walls built of heavy-duty 14-gauge steel
- Mounting: Pre-drilled holes at the bottom and sides allow you to bolt the safe to the wall and floor
- Dimensions: 20.25’ wide, 52’ tall, 15.25’ deep
- Weight: 105 pounds
This handgun safe offers quick access and many features with smart safety technology. With the safe’s Bluetooth app, you can adjust features like sound and brightness, view battery status, and open it remotely. The automatic door opens quickly, ensuring rapid access.
- Security: A unibody design with no welding ensures there are no weak spots. The safe uses a biometric fingerprint scanner and electronic lock. It also has anti-pry bars, anti-impact latches, and hinges mounted on the inside.
- Storage Capacity: Can store 2 full-size handguns
- Construction: Built with 16-gauge carbon steel
- Mounting: Buy a mounting plate to bolt it on your preferred surface
- Dimensions: 11.5’ wide, 2.75’ tall, 9.0’ deep
- Weight: 7.2 pounds
Stack-On Welded Steel 18-Gun Security Cabinet
You’ll enjoy peace of mind with the Stack-On’s fortified security features. The cabinet is made of steel and is secured with a robust door made of 19-gauge steel. You can adjust the shelves to fit your storage needs. It comes with pre-drilled holes making installation hassle-free. The beveled-edge design gives it a modern look, so it fits perfectly in your home or office setting.
- Security: A 4-way lock system locks on all four sides. The lock is shrouded while steel z-brackets protect the safe from pry attacks. The safe also features a double-bitted key for extra security.
- Storage capacity: Stores up to 18 rifles
- Construction: Built with welded steel with a lusterless finish
- Mounting: Has pre-drilled mounting holes for easy mounting
- Dimensions: 21’ wide, 55’ tall, 18.5’ deep
- Weight: 88 pounds
Browning Ultra 49 Tall 49-Gun Safe
If you need a reliable safe with high capacity, this safe is perfect. Ample vertical space is ideal for holding long barrels. The safe also uses ThermaBlock fire technology to protects your safe’s contents for 60 minutes during a fire.
- Security: 1” formed steel door and an electronic lock by Force Deflector provide great protection
- Storage: Can store up to 49 rifles
- Construction: Built with 12-gauge steel
- Mounting: Bolts to the floor
- Dimensions: 41’ wide, 72’ tall, 24’ deep
- Weight: 790 pounds